A fire that destroyed City-issued trash and recycling containers and damaged a building may have been the result of improperly discarded cigarettes.
Firefighters were called to the 1100 block of Catalpa Circle for an outside fire. Firefighters found the containers burning immediately next to a four-unit apartment building. The brick exterior did not catch on fire but it did suffer some discoloration. A nearby downspout was also damaged.
Firefighters applied about 100 gallons of water and foam to extinguish the fire. Witnesses reported seeing someone smoking near the trash container a few hours before the fire, but firefighters could not confirm whether the fire started as a result of discarded cigarettes.
Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)
Our Madison – Inclusive, Innovative, & Thriving